Sunday, May 30, 2010

oh BABY!

Yes, it's true! We're going to have a baby! Are a very shocked and excited and just trying to let it all sink in. Since I really want to remember all the details, I am going to tell the whole story. I am a pretty private person, so most people don't know all the details but I want to be able to look back in 40 years and remember how our first baby came to be.

It all started back when we were seriously dating, discussing when and how many kids we wanted to have. Back then we decided that once we've been married a year, we would start trying to have kids.  Anyway, we decided that after a year we would reevaluate and see if we were ready. Well the year came and went and we decided that although a baby did sound fun, we still weren't quite ready for it so we held off longer and decided we would wait until we were married 2 years. Time went by and I started getting a little bit baby hungry, but nothing too drastic. I knew that I wanted kids soon but I wasn't all in yet. Michael never really was ready either. (I'm pretty sure he could've waited 5 or 6 years)

I went off of the Birth Control pill January of 2009, but not because we were ready to have kids, but because I was really sick of taking it. I was sick of the weight I had gained (although it probably wasn't because of the BC) and I was just sick of what it did to my body. I never really enjoyed being on Birth Control just because I wasn't myself on it, plus I knew that sometimes it takes a while to get pregnant after you've been on Birth Control so I knew that when we were ready, I wanted it completely out of my system. I went off Birth Control and I got my period back normal every month. Time went on and we decided that we were ready as we would ever be to start trying to have kids.

We finally made the decision that we would start trying July of 2009. July came and went and I never got my period. I was so excited that maybe I was pregnant and it would be super easy for us to get pregnant! WRONG. I don't know what it was, stress, whatever but I didn't get my period until October. I was so weirded out that my period had been pretty normal my whole entire life, and even 6 months after Birth Control and then we finally start trying to have a baby and it just disappeared! Anyway, I went to the doctor to see what was up and why all the sudden my period disappeared and she did some blood work and came back and said I have PCOS and Hypothyroidism. Now I had never heard of any of those before,so of course I went to Dr. Google and researched the heck out of both of those. Anyway, the doctor said that before we do anything, she wanted to get my thyroid under control so she prescribed me with a drug that gives me the same hormone that my pituitary gland obviously wasn't producing. They say that Hypothyroidism can affect your fertility so we were hoping that it was just that and we would have no problems. Well once we got the thyroid issue worked out and I was on the right dose of medicine she gave me something called Metformin to take which supposedly helps PCOS. You are supposed to take it 3 times a day and it is just terrible. It made me super super sick and after a month on it I decided that I wasn't ready to be taking that much medication every day. Michael is kind of anti medication and he was hesitant all along that I had to take so much medicine pumping my body full of hormones.

I think I only took the medicine for one month so February 1 I just decided that I was sick of taking all this medicine and really for us we weren't ready to dive that deep into the "having a baby journey" yet. I hadn't had a regular period or I don't think i even ovulated in that entire time frame and I just wanted to get off all the medicine and just start trying naturally again. I knew several people that took clomid to ovulate and I figured that's what I wanted to do. the doctor I was seeing was just a nurse practitioner so she didn't have the ability to prescribe clomid so she told me to find an actual OB that would prescribe it to me.

I called around and somehow found a Dr. about 40 miles away that deals a lot with infertility and we decided to make an appointment with him. He seemed really good and he had a long wait time and wouldn't even accept new patients unless you were referred. Anyway to make a long story really short, we had scheduled to meet with him 3 times over the next 3 months and for some odd reason the appointments never worked out. The first appointment I totally spaced and went the wrong day (which is completely unlike me, especially because I waited so long for the appointment and was so excited to finally get answers). The second appointment we went all the way up there and he had an emergency c section. The third time I was on my period randomly. Anyway I look back on it and realize that there was probably a reason for all this and for some reason I was not supposed to go to that doctor. In that time frame January-April my periods were starting to come a little bit more regularly. Anyway, the month after I finally gave up on going to see that doctor I took a pregnancy test and it was POSITIVE!

From starting trying to get pregnant to actually pregnant it took us about 10 months. To us it seemed like an eternity, but I know in actuality that isn't a very long time compared to what I have seen some of my friends go through. Seeing so many of my friends go through infertility with expensive treatments and things has really made me so much more grateful for this pregnancy. Every time I find myself wanting to complain about my aches and pains and discomforts of pregnancy I always think about those people that have a harder time than I did, and those that might not ever even get to experience pregnancy. I hope to never take pregnancy for granted.

We are due January 26, 2011 and I am so excited because I get to spend most of the cold winter months cuddling my baby inside!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like...